The French Institute Paris and the French Institute in India run two parallel support programs. Indian publishers may choose to apply to one of the programs or both:
1. PAP IF (rights fees)
This grant covers exclusively the right fees and is paid directly to the French publisher by Institut français Paris upon presentation of the copy of the assignment rights contract signed and dated by both parties. The fees amount need to have been negotiated in advance with the French publisher. A contract is signed between Institut français Paris and the Indian publisher to regulate the modalities.
Note: Institut français Paris is an autonomous agency under the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It is independent from the French Institute in India. The decision to cover the right fees or not is taken by the Institut français Paris.
2. PAP Tagore (publication fees)
This grant covers part of the publication fees (translation costs, production costs, promotional costs). In this case, the financial support is allocated directly by the French Institute in India to the Indian publisher. A contract is signed between the French Institute in India and the Indian publisher to regulate the modalities. 25% of the payment is made upon signing the contract, the rest 75% will be paid upon publication of the book.
Note: A project is never fully funded by the French Institute in India.
The programs support works pertaining to all genres except academic, technical, or practical books. It supports translation of already published, original French titles into all Indian languages.
For the years 2023/24, The PAP Tagore gives priority to titles pertaining to children’s literature and comics / graphic novels. It will also give priority to contemporary French authors over classics.
The projects will be evaluated on:
- The intrinsic quality of the original French book and the reputation of its author.
- The quality of the translation, based on the translation samples provided.
- The reputation of the Indian publisher and its commitment to promote and distribute the book to a large audience.
Three sessions are held every year:
- Session 1: Submit your application online before 3rd January 2023.
- Session 2: Submit your application online before 3rd April 2023.
- Session 3: Submit your application online before 10th July 2023.
A publishing house can submit a maximum of 2 books / 1 series per session.
The final results will be announced within 2-3 months following the submission date.
- The application must be submitted through the online application form.
- Only complete application forms will be considered.
- If a supplementary amount for cession fees is due by the Indian publisher to the French publisher at a later stage (for reprint, supplementary edition, royalties…), costs shall be borne by the Indian publisher.
- In case of substantial postponement of the publication, the French Institute in India can interrupt its collaboration with the Indian publishing house till the title is brought out properly.
- The books published under the Publication Assistance Programmes must display mention of the assistance provided on the copyright page along with the PAP logo.
“The work is published with the support of the Publication Assistance Programme of the Institut français”
- Every project must be validated by the French Institute in India (quality of the translation, cover, copyright page, PAP logo) before the final publication.