France has announced major new initiatives to roll out the red carpet for Indian students and alumni.
On the occasion of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Paris as Chief Guest of France’s National Day on July 14, France and India have raised people-to-people ties as one of the three pillars of our strategic partnership, as enshrined in the Indo-French Roadmap 2047. In particular, France has announced major new initiatives to roll out the red carpet for Indian students and alumni:
- France’s ambitious welcome target: President Emmanuel Macron announced France’s goal to welcome 30,000 students from India by 2030. This ambitious target signifies France’s conviction that welcoming more Indian students fosters academic excellence, cultural understanding, and long-lasting friendship between our two nations.
- Creation of “International Classes” in France: These specialized programmes will provide comprehensive training in the French language and other academic disciplines, enabling Indian students to excel in their studies and adapt seamlessly to the French education system. This decision reflects France’s commitment to making life as easy as possible for Indian students.
- 5-Year Schengen circulation visa for Indian alumni: France believes that when an Indian student spends even just a semester in France, it creates a connection that ought to be fostered and cherished. That is why, Indian students who hold a Master’s degree or above and have spent at least a semester studying in France are eligible for a 5-year short-stay Schengen visa. This is a special provision for Indian alumni to enable them to keep close links with France and their French counterparts.
In order to implement these initiatives, France has also decided to strengthen its Campus France network in India with additional staff and resources.
Commenting on these announcements, the Ambassador of France to India, H.E. Mr Emmanuel Lenain, said: “Our teams are working double time to implement the decisions taken by President Macron and Prime minister Modi in Paris to benefit students. France has always been an inclusive and diverse country, eager to share our rich cultural heritage and world-class education opportunities with Indian students. My message for Indian students: France will always be your friend, and we will do everything possible to ensure you have an amazing academic and life experience in our country.”
France has indeed long been recognized as a premier destination for international students. It offers a myriad of compelling reasons for Indian students to choose it as their study abroad destination:
- Academic excellence: with 32 French universities and grandes écolesranked in QS World University Ranking, and 36 in the Times Higher Education World Ranking, France boasts a long-standing reputation for its world-class education system, with a wide range of renowned universities and institutions offering high-quality education.
- Diverse range of programmes: Given the plethora of academic disciplines and programmes, Indian students can find the perfect fit for their interests and career aspirations. For instance, those inclining towards scientific exploration can opt for advanced programs in aerospace engineering, or can carry on the French tradition of excellence in mathematics (for which 3 universities are in top 20 of QS ranking). Similarly, individuals aspiring for a career in finance can choose among the best masters in the world (five of the highest-ranked 10 schools in the world are French). Moreover, for those passionate about the culinary arts or hospitality management, France presents an exceptional opportunity to master gastronomic excellence and the art of hospitality. Without mentioning social sciences, art and design, among many others.
- Affordable education: Higher education in France is highly subsidized by the government, which means France offers more competitive tuition fees and living costs, making it an attractive option for Indian students.
- Generous scholarships: Every year, France offers scholarships of over 15 crore rupees every year specifically designed for Indian students, making education even more accessible and affordable. These scholarships cover various disciplines, allowing students to pursue their desired academic fields without financial constraints.
- Cultural richness: France’s rich cultural heritage and diverse society offer a unique experience for Indian students, providing opportunities for personal and cultural growth.
- English-taught programmes: For non-French speakers, France offers a wide array of 1600+ English-taught programmes, providing access to quality education for all.
- Language opportunities: Learning and mastering the French language, spoken by more than 320 million people in the world, can open doors to international job opportunities and enhance communication skills.
- Internationally recognized degrees: French academic credentials carry international recognition, significantly enhancing employability and opening up promising career avenues for Indian students. Furthermore, under a landmark 2018 academic pact, India and France mutually recognize their degrees – a collaboration set to expand with the inclusion of additional professional designations.
- Gateway to French companies in India: With 570 French companies employing more than 400 000 staff in India, graduates with French qualifications gain access to a wide spectrum of career prospects, and the chance to work with globally renowned organizations. In fact, France ranks second in the “Global University Employability Ranking” published by Times Higher Education.
- Post-study work visa: The two-year post-study work visa for post-graduates with a French Master’s degree enables Indian students to gain valuable work experience, and explore career options in France.
Studying in France offers Indian students a perfect blend of academic excellence, cultural immersion, and career opportunities, making it an ideal choice for those seeking a transformative educational experience.