Started in 1990, the Publication Assistance Programme has enabled over 12 000 titles by French language writers to be translated and published in 75 countries. These programmes have been a major tool of development of influence of French literature and though around the globe. The provisions of this programme have benefited foreign publishers willing to add French language writers in their catalogue via translation (or in certain cases local editions in French)
Publication Assistance Programme in India, called Tagore, is a support programme for Indian publishers who wish to publish a French book translated into English or into any Indian language.
Selection Criterions :
• intrinsic quality of the book and its importance in terms of creative aspects and that of French thought;
• local publisher’s commitment in distributing and promoting the book;
• activity and participation of the local publisher in developing a long-term translation policy for publishing French writers.
There is no restriction in terms of type of the works (literature, children’s literature, graphic novels, social sciences and humanities, academic and scientific publications) provided there is a readership in India.
Kind of assistance :
Indian publisher may ask for our help in:
• Funding of rights expenses or licence fee (assistance provided by Institut Français, an autonomous agency for cultural exchange under the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through the French Book Office): from centralized budget of Institut Français, payment of the rights expenses/ licence fee already negotiated between Indian and French publishers as advance payment or as per flat fee. In this case, the assistance allocated by Institut Français, on suggestion of the Book Offices of the French Embassies abroad, is directly paid to the French publishers, as a substitution to the payment made by the Indian publisher. Please note that these rights can’t be reimbursed to the Indian publisher but will be paid directly to the French Publisher.
A contract between Institut Français and Indian publisher is then signed to regulate the modalities. This support has to be mentioned in all printed copies of the book (as per the contract).
• Assistance to publication (local assistance): from the local budget of the French Book Office, payment of part of the production, translation and communication costs of the book. In this case, the assistance allocated by the Book Office of the French Embassy in India is directly paid to the Indian publisher.
A contract between the French Embassy and Indian publisher is then signed to regulate the modalities. This support has to be mentioned in all printed copies of the book (as per the contract).
Two sessions every year:
1. Spring: only complete files received by the Book Office before 25th February will be considered.
2. Autumn: only complete files received by the Book Office before 1st of July will be considered.
Please, complete yourapplication by downloading the documents here :
-PAP Tagore English
- Indentification Form
- PAP Convention IF 2012
Deposit your file to :
French Embassy in India – Book Office
2 Aurangzeb Road
New Delhi 110 011
Tel. : 011 30 41 00 57 / Fax : 011 30 41 00 59
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org