OPEN CALL: PHOTOGRAPHY: PIX MAGAZINE
THE STUDENT ISSUE: EXPERIMENTATION
In the last decade, South Asia has witnessed a deluge in exploratory works being produced by students who have been mentored within newly formed photo/visual arts departments. The scope of student work – in image-making and writing – has also been exponentially broadened through festivals, workshops and training programmes, as well as a personal drive to experiment without the availability of taught courses for everyone. All of these conjoined efforts have led to a rich and varied contemporary moment – the form images can take and discussions focussing on cultural relevance and impact.
Photography is no longer restricted to the single image, but demands consideration as an inter-media device, a hybrid, wherein the domain of the documentary is constantly pushed with the creation of new work – through collaborations, theoretical inputs, and even by investigating the emerging archives of modern practitioners. As a consequence, exposure and experience, as well as trials and tests will now anticipate the future of photo-practices.
In the forthcoming issue, we would like to enlarge the canvas of student work, inviting all manner of submissions that will explore processes and evolving styles across generations. We aim to gauge how fresh and critical approaches are being charted through the interplay of communication, composition and narration.
The role of the university and pedagogy as well as independent practitioners are therefore allied to this issue.
Manner of Submission
- A minimum of 12 and maximum of 25 images may be sent in the form of a coherent body of work.
- Please send, via e-mail, low-res jpeg images within the range of 4 x 6 inches@200dpi. Hi-res will be requested if the body of work is selected.
- Please include captions as well as date, place and format in which the work was made.
- Please DO NOT send links to a website. (Even your own)
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (for submissions and queries)
- A Dropbox link to photos and introductory text is preferred. The photographer should send a few lines (50-100 words) introducing himself/herself and the images. The quarterly reserves the right to make the final selection but all photographers who make submissions will be responded to in due course. There is no fee provided for the images, however when published, the quarterly will be circulated widely.
- Contributors will receive 2 copies each. All images and works will be duly accredited.
Last date of submission
31 July 2017
Visit www.enterpix.in for details